Hi! I'm Ngan.
I'm a multidisciplinary designer + front-end developer who has a lot of user empathy. Currently, I'm open to freelancing opportunities. Formerly, I was a Senior UI/UX designer at New Target and a Senior Front-End Designer at Vox Media.
Freelance Production Designer, Automattic
March 2018 – Present
- Worked on WordPress redesign evergreen display static and HTML5 motion ads.
- Collaborated with Marketing team to ensure brand guidelines and vision were met.
Senior UI/UX Designer, New Target
July 2017 – April 2018
- Developed design strategy and executes overall look and feel for client websites and web applications.
- Presented design alternatives and produced innovative and visually appropriate graphics.
- Led the creative vision and worked closely with the information architect to ensure all designs utilized best practices and positive user experiences.
- Created style tiles, homepage and internal page design concepts and client web-based style guides.
- Conducted weekly design critiques and provided mentorship to teammates.
- Improved design team structure and processes.
Senior Front-End Designer, Vox Media
June 2017 – July 2017
- Led design and builds products & platforms that tell powerful and engaging stories both on- and off-platform for our brand partners.
- Worked closely with other designers, product/project managers and engineers to implement new sponsored content features.
- Mentored, onboarded, trained, and introduced new teammates to company and product team culture, structure, policies, applications, etc.
Front-End Designer, Vox Media
January 2016 - June 2017
- September 2016 - June 2017 / Branded Content Team
- Designed and implemented UX/UI experiences on the "Seller Resource Center" platform, a one-stop resources shop for our sales and marketing departments.
- Helped conduct user testing for new products and platform functionalities.
- Skillfully balanced design, prototyping and coding.
- Mentored, onboarded, trained, helped and introduceed new teammates to company and product team culture, ideals, applications, etc.
- Assisted in forming constructive design processes.
- Helped design and launch Meridian.net, a travel site focusing on a new destination each month, geared towards jet-setters going off the beaten path.
- April to September 2016 / Revenue Platforms Team
- Focused on building out and improving our in-house advertising platforms.
- Planned sprint cycles with documentation detailing project outlines and timelines.
- Created user testing guides and scripts as well as conducted user research and testing to figure out issues within platforms.
- Helped identify areas of improvement and provided thoughtful and scalable solutions to push the platforms forward.
- Designed UX/UI experiences and solved design challenges through brainstorms, sketching, wireframing, and prototyping.
- Developed new interactive and feature design patterns and implemented them into a re-usable library. Updated and iterated on library.
- Refined product's visual and aesthetic designs.
- Built dynamic and interactive prototypes in InVision & in browser for testing.
- Created walk-through videos of prototypes to help engineers and project manager(s) better understand the UX/UI design thinking, process, and ideal user flow.
- Execulted final designs on the front-end, using HTML, CSS and Sass.
- Collaborated with other designers and developers on team to ensure new platform features and interactions align with the wants/needs of users.
- Provided mentorship and advice to fellow designers on the team.
- Was the lead and sole UX/UI designer on team after organizational changes, helping lead the design thinking behind new platform features and functions.
- Worked with other Product Team members and leadership to plan and host events.
- January to April 2016 / Revenue Executions Team
- Built and iterated on high-impact custom ad units.
- Created templates to optimize and improve workflow for designers and developers.
- Helped train, mentor and onboard new team hires, walking them through RFP and production work processes.
- Produced custom branded content and micro-sites for advertisers.
- Sole developer on Hack Harassment project.
Designer, Vox Media
June 2012 - January 2016
- Produced visual RFP and production designs for advertising executions for Vox Media's 8 verticals — SB Nation, The Verge, Polygon, Curbed, Eater, Racked, Vox.com and Re/code.
- Created layout designs for high-impact sponsored content.
- Executed on ready-to-deploy high impact custom ad units.
- Conceptualized digital brand campaigns and sponsorship opportunities as well as offered design/branding expertise to clients.
- Assisted in-house marketing team with presentation decks.
- Built out initial Pixel Punch website in 2014.
Design Intern, Vox Media
January 2012 - June 2012
- Collaborated with and assisted Design/Production team to create mocks and RFP designs for client's ad space on company verticals (SB Nation, The Verge, Polygon) including but not limited to: banners, collapsed bars and pushdowns, background reskins, leaderboards, medium rectangles, sponsored title bars, etc.
- Assisted senior and junior designers with branding designs.
- Converted InDesign decks and marketing presentations into Powerpoint presentations.